The mission

The purpose of this blog is to report on my experiences with various parenting-related issues. Reviews of advice, crafts, and whatever else comes my way. (Originally this was meant to be a Glass Explorer project, but I was unable to procure funding... in case you're wondering about the title. Pending retail release..................)

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tips: The secret to washing baby clothes.

How do I get feces out of baby clothes?
How do I prevent my washer and dryer from smelling like feces or vomit?
How do I get feces out of clothes?
How do I get vomit out of clothes?
How do I get blood out of clothes?

You can do this list forever when you have an infant or toddler. Or if you're drunk and vomiting a lot, I suppose.

This is the ONLY trick you ever need to know! (But don't fool around with dry clean only, I don't buy those kinds of clothes so I can't speak for them)

Step one: keep the clothing item moist and relatively fresh. As in, wash it before it dries out. This doesn't mean you have to have a wet diaper pail, it just means don't leave them sitting around long enough to get dried out or moldy.

Step two: put the clothing items in your washer and do an entire cycle on cold (I find the extra pre-rinse on my washing machine insufficient), no detergent necessary.

Step three: when the clothing is finished on the entire cold cycle, then add your detergent (of course remembering that for babies you'll want some non-irritating gentle detergent, particularly for cloth diapers) and run on whatever hot/warm/cold cycle you normally are supposed to do with your clothing.

Step four: run the clothes through your dryer or on a drying rack or whatever it is you normally do to dry them. Done!

Summary: RINSE WITH COLD WATER ASAP, then wash as normal!

Seriously, the only time baby messes have ever stained or stank is when I let them dry or mold before washing, or forgot and ran it on a hot or warm cycle before a cold cycle.

If you accidentally do run a warm or hot cycle on a load and the washer and dryer end up reeking of feces or whatever, just run a clean wet towel or two with a little bit of bleach through both machines. Then remove the bleach by running that same towel through the washing machine enough to get the bleach out, then run it through the dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment